Mites on eggs

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SandyM

Mites on eggs

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:18 pm

madison174 wrote:QR_BBPOST Wasn't there someone who sold some sort of bug that ate the mites? It was on PSO. They'd mail them to you? Anyone remember that?
I thought it was the red mites?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Mites on eggs

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:23 pm

iv never seen them so I had to look them up... knock on wood!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Mites on eggs

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:25 am

Notice the 8 legs. These guys are arachnids, akin to ticks and spiders, they are not insects.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Mites on eggs

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:53 am

madison174 wrote:QR_BBPOST Wasn't there someone who sold some sort of bug that ate the mites? It was on PSO. They'd mail them to you? Anyone remember that?
http://www.naturalinsectcontrol.com/pro ... =000000257
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Mites on eggs

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:11 am

Well I checked the coop walls and roost last night. Twice. Nothing. I dusted the birds yesterday. Found one girl who I think had a few. But Ivomectin I'm sure will take care of that. She got a good dose. Repeating ivomectin next week.

I kind of did a smoke bomb of Carbaryl (spelling?) dust In the coop and closed the door for the day (Friday) Nesting boxes were in the pen. Not happy girls, but they adjusted. They were very happy to get back to their coop yesterday for egg laying. Nesting boxes and slots have dust in them. Poor girls. Toxic waste land. I won't even share what happened to my poor Roo when I tripped over my shoelace with carbaryl. Let's just say him and I are mite free for life. :( Think I'll wear a mask next time.

SandyM

Mites on eggs

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:12 am

And extra wormwood all over the coop yesterday too. In boxes, in corners and in the bedding.

Return to “Health”