Mites on eggs

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SandyM

Mites on eggs

Post by SandyM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:03 pm

How long is egg withdrawal again with ivermectin? Can I feed the eggs back to the chickens?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Mites on eggs

Post by thegawd » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:59 pm

technically there isnt a withdrawal period as its off label use... I wait 2 weeks. sure you can feed them back to the bird, a lot better than wasting them. thats what i do anyways... im no expert LOL.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Mites on eggs

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:08 pm

It's a drug that can be used in humans so I don't use a withdrawal period. I don't sell them for 2 weeks though.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Scotty
Newly Hatched Chick

Mites on eggs

Post by Scotty » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:53 pm

I wouldn't spray neem oil on birds, I would use in a mixture to spray in coop on porous surfaces (wood) As I mentioned I have only used outside on orchard. If you use oil I would dilute as it's quite thick and pungent

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Mites on eggs

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Go in there at night with a flashlight, and look closely at wood structures like hatch door frame or window frame, see if there are any teeny tiny crawlies on them. If there are, they're not poultry mites, poultry mites will be clustered on warm spots (your birds)

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Mites on eggs

Post by Jaye » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:10 pm

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST How long is egg withdrawal again with ivermectin? Can I feed the eggs back to the chickens?
Whenever I have had to use Ivermectin, I didn't feed the eggs back to the chickens because it doesn't make sense to me to feed back an egg that has residual Ivermectin in it: I believe that if you recycle some of the medication back into the hens, even if it is only a small amount, you are in effect increasing the withdrawal period. Like KB, I don't sell the eggs for 21 days, although we eat them, and so does the dog.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Mites on eggs

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Ok, I'll do that tonight. I just dusted everyone again and I honestly don't see any but I'm not a pro. But I dusted the crap out of them and did ivermectin anyways.

Tonight I'll look. Thanks!

madison174
On the Roost

Mites on eggs

Post by madison174 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Wasn't there someone who sold some sort of bug that ate the mites? It was on PSO. They'd mail them to you? Anyone remember that?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Mites on eggs

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Yes there is but she didnt sell it... it was PAJenn from Prosperity Acres. The info is on here I'll dig it up.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Mites on eggs

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:56 pm

http://growingagoodlife.com/poultry/str ... -scimitus/

Jenns Blog, info on predatory mites.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Health”