Solved Worm - Help identify Pls

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Worm - Help identify Pls

Post by Jaye » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:22 pm

LOL - Sandy, I've been dealing with gnarly little dinosaur feet for a few days now. I'll trade you.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Jaye, I honestly don't know what I'd do, or who I'd call LOL! I wear gloves ... Chicken feet FREAK ME OUT! Prehistoric and scaly like lizards and long nails...like my worst nightmare wrapped up in 2 legs...blah!

Surgical gloves I guess.

Mind you the Silkie loves to wrap her toes around my fingers and I'm getting better at not dropping her. JUST KIDDING! (Maybe)

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:38 am

Ok somebody please help me to understand this. Worms and their eggs are in the digestive tract, right? Eggs are built in the reproductive system. At what stage of development does the egg end up in the digestive tract? If it is early enough to get worms in it, how come we never find feces in eggs?

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am

**watching** for responses ... Good question, actually fantastic question!

I'm still not hard booking eggs lol

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:57 am

There are different types of worms, some of them microscopic in size, but most importantly, as mentioned before, it would have to be incredible load to make it in to an egg.
For more detailed info,
the Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow is a great resource.
Caution, if you read the book from cover to cover, you may decide it's simply too scary to raise chickens ;)

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Where's Robbie? She's got an awesome story about one of her professors who had a pet bot fly larvae. I think it was Robbie. There's not many creepy crawly stories that make me squick, I like most creepy crawlies, but that was definitely one of them.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 pm

I found the piperazine..so tomorrow Pipes for everyone!! And I might be forever scared of hard boiled eggs. Even scrambled today had me looking good.
Maybe I'm too ocd for poultry ...

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:29 pm

ahhhhh fully cooked aint guna hurt ya! lol you dont even want to know what iv eaten... on purpose and alive/raw ;-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:Where's Robbie? She's got an awesome story about one of her professors who had a pet bot fly larvae. I think it was Robbie. There's not many creepy crawly stories that make me squick, I like most creepy crawlies, but that was definitely one of them.

I think we'll spare Sandy that story......... until she's tougher. And we're not going to talk about 100 year old eggs or Balut either.
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Omg! Seriously? That bad?

Return to “Health”