Question Why did she die so suddenly?!?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SusanH
Starting to Crow

Re: Why did she die so suddenly?!?

Post by SusanH » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Correction. Mites! I am too blind to see them on her body, but the bathtub I put her in was covered in grit, and yep I saw it move. So there wil be a morning run to find dusting powder or ivermectin or whatever. Thanks WWW for explaining what to look for.
The hairdryer was fun. There's Lola, stretching out her wing so I can do her armpit. Turn her over and fluff her tummy. People who don't have chickens don't know what they're missing!
Keeping her isolated another day to watch her.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 am

Jaye, what does Epsom salts do? Does it kill pests? Or help loosen a bound egg? Now that I see how much Lola seemed to enjoy her warm bath and blowout, I would do it again.
What form does activated charcoal come in? Is it just to settle the stomach, or what does it do?
I do give the girls some fruit/veg that is past its prime, especially in winter where I actually buy stuff from the discount produce rack specifically to give the chickens. They often package for example, one cantaloupe with a small blemish with another one with a big mushy spot. We eat the better one, and the chickens get the other. I hope I didn't poison them! Oh dear!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 am

Mites can really weaken a bird. Hope you can find some dusting powder or pour on ivermectin to take care of them. Tis the season for them-i find they are always worst in winter and early spring.

Chickens can get botulism but the produce at the store shouldnt be THAT bad!!

Epsom salts act as a drawing agent to draw out infections etc. My biggest use is in drawing out abscesses in horse feet and stuff like that. Soaking with the salt in the water will move water from the body out into the bath taking along with it anything that is stuck in or on the skin....some people swear it detoxifies-but i honestly do not know what they mean by that (im a scentist so i prefer the chemical properties instad of saying detox because the body is already pretty decent at not being toxic)....anyways whatever it means its soothing especially in warm water.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Health”