What to do

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Gizmo
Newly Hatched Chick

What to do

Post by Gizmo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Yesterday afternoon I discovered one of my hens dead in the coop. No signs of violence and I did not think she was sick. This is my first adult chicken to die. The only other thing I can think of is it tried to fly up to high windows to roost and got hurt? There is only one chicken that flies up there the one that died was a buff orp and really shouldn't try flying that high. My question is if it was health related what should I look for in the rest of flock. I see them first thing in am and then at night when they are roosting for night. Also what do people do with the carcass/body?

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: What to do

Post by Brian » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Some times Chickens die. I would not panic.

To check for illness I look for one of 4 symptoms:

- Sitting listless and rumpled on the perch. Sign that something not right. could be anything viral, cold worms, etc...
- Dirty vent feathers - Gastrol Intestiunal Issue. - Worms, Coccidiosis, etc..
- Discharge around the nose and eyes - Respiratory infection viral
- Laboured Breathing - Upper respiratory

If none of the rest of your flock is showing any symptoms, and no one else dies, I would just chock it up to sometimes they just die.
It is the hard part of having animals that you love.

PAJenn
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by PAJenn » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Gizmo wrote:Also what do people do with the carcass/body?
We have a chicken grave yard (no markers mind you). If the ground is frozen, they go in a tightly sealed bag, and into a separate section in the deep-freeze until Spring thaw.

If you plan to bury them, take care to locate your final resting place(s) away from any source of high surface water (Spring flooding), or ground water (well).

The old-school farmers in my area claim the bottom of the manure pile (if you have one) is the best place to bury small animals. Apparently, the carcass will decompose in a few months. Fairly sure this method is no longer in any Best Management Practices booklet?

If I recall, from our last Environmental Farm Plan workshops, that bagging and sending the carcass to landfill is acceptable. I'd have to look that up though. So don't quote me on that. Come to think of it, bagging for landfill may have referred to disposal of rodents.
Prosperity Acres | Growing a Good Life
http://www.prosperityacres.ca

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:28 pm

In the ground good fertilizer .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Gizmo
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Gizmo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Thanks everyone. I just had a good look at the girls 2 have no feathers by their vent and one is a bit dirty but rest look fine. Do they pull out feathers for certain reasons? Some looked like they had lots of new downy feathers. My chickens are buff orp, EE, welsummer and one black sexlink what are your thoughts?

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Brian » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Orpington and Welsummer have lots of down. Sexlink and EE usually do not. Sometimes they or other hens, roosters pluck feathers from butt areas.

I would just keep an eye on them and see. Most likely they are fine.

Return to “Health”