irritating behaviour-fix advice needed

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Al, i tried coloured zip ties for a while and actually had one bird that managed to grab the cut off end and pull so hard i had to cut the tie off before it cut off the circulation in his leg! i tell ya, if they can hurt themselves with it, they will! thankfully he did that while i was still banding other birds or he wouldn't have been found till the next morning.....
i may retry the crazy glue on the current bands i have, i'm sure i have some crazy glue somewhere in the house. i just bought a new one because the other was wussy glue...maybe it was the glue that was the problem and a different glue won't go as brittle.
i did try marking the spiral bands with a sharpie. that lasted all of about a day....but i haven't tried nailpolish...or punching holes in them. hm....two great ideas. so i'll try the glue (new glue) first, and if that fails then go back to the spiral ones and try marking them somehow. Otherwise i'll probably just do the colour stacking thing....one colour for year, next colour for sire and next colour for dam....and keep really good detailed notes on the colours....where i like the numbers is i can just make a note that bird 8 is 7 x 2 and then i know 2 was from 1 x 6...so 8 is related to 1 and 6 and 7 and 2....lol. it's short, quick and concise. while orange/blue/pink is from blue and pink, and pink is from green and yellow, while blue is from brown and purple...so orange/blue/pink is related to pink/green/yellow/blue/brown/purple...in a particular order LOL
new glue...i'll start there....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:01 pm

How bout having a group meting and telling them that they need to be identifiable and that if they remove their band you will have to freezer camp them, might work?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:05 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST My bigger roosters would probably kill me if i tried toe punching them! Lol
Hold / hang the bird in one hand upside down & toe punch or web punch . They just hang there . Get er dun ... Need a holder/hand I'll come over & help Kathy . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 pm

LOL. my bigger roosters also scream when i pick them up, you'd think they were being tortured....LOL. i'll try the glue-and the meeting-first ;-P thanks for the offer Ross, will let you know if i need you to do some rooster wrestling.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:05 pm

Help a neighbor do young pig boys all the time . Nothin screams like a pig . Lol haheee
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:41 pm

Some years ago I bought some cheap slide-lock bands from China off e-bay, and some rather pricey goose-sized snap-lock bands from birdbands.com. The cheap Chinese ones are still in use and rarely come off except the odd one. The snap locks however pull apart at the slightest pressure and even rip at the seam sometimes. I ended up throwing them out. The slide locks are great. My geese had metal ones before and all fell off...the metal ones aren't really made for birds that spend a lot of time outdoors, especially in alkaline Mud lol

Return to “Behaviour”