Chickens chucking corn

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Chickens chucking corn

Post by labradors » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Sounds interesting Farrier. How do you know that the nutritional bases are covered, or do you switch to a more comprehensive mix in the winter time when there's not much to forage outside?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Not sure about the nutritional bases. They seem to do OK on it and all the scraps from the chicken pail. That is in the house all the time, leftovers, trimmings, mouldy stuff out the frig, orange peels, coffee grounds, egg shells, stuff like that goes into it, So I just let them be chickens. Not saying its the only way, but its my way and mostly works. And it also provides entertainment when the dogs and chickens and goats and horses do battle when I dump it.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:11 am

Interesting Farrier! I'm always thinking about fodder for the composter, but tend to forget about saving scraps for the chickens (except for seeds (and skins) from melons and squash). They are rather picky, and turn up their beaks at bell pepper seeds and windfall apples, even when they are cut up small.....

Thinking back, I am now wondering if I caused them to chuck stuff out of their bowl as I buried some coriander and pepper seeds in their food bowl - sigh! I won't do that again.......

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:49 am

My chickens love wheat Oats are a close second They eat barley if there is nothing else. I have had success feeding Roosters wheat and cracked corn in different feeders free choice in a pasture pen. When it comes to whole corn they would sooner eat barley.

Return to “Behaviour”