Free Ranging Siblings

KimChick
Head Chicken

Free Ranging Siblings

Post by KimChick » Fri May 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Since the grass has greened up this Spring, we have been letting the chickens out to free range for a few hours almost everyday. Today was no exception. What I have noticed lately is that the 5 youngest (rooster and 4 hens), all siblings, stay together most of the time.
But, then again, so do the black sex-links. It is the red sex-links that disperse the most and are very adventurous.
Today, little GraceE found herself in the barn again; she gets there by way of the cow corral, through the cow doorway into the stall; the man-door is always closed. And she is usually the last one to be found and herded back into the pen.
Anyway, just thought I'd share.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Free Ranging Siblings

Post by kenya » Sat May 04, 2019 6:57 am

I had one silkie hen that would always head over to the neighbours never stayed with the rest of the silkies. I had to rehome her she just wouldn't stay home and the neighbours wife didn't like her rearranging the flower beds.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun May 05, 2019 3:39 pm

kenya wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:57 am
I had one silkie hen that would always head over to the neighbours never stayed with the rest of the silkies. I had to rehome her she just wouldn't stay home and the neighbours wife didn't like her rearranging the flower beds.
I'm glad my neighbours aren't that close!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed May 08, 2019 1:03 pm

So we can say, "As the saying goes, chickens that brood together, flock together." :chicks:

Return to “Behaviour”