no-crow collar?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: no-crow collar?

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Well, so far we haven't managed to find that sweet spot where Charlie's collar is actually having much of an effect on his crowing decibel levels. And with the "warmer" weather starting, it's getting more obvious. Not only is he loud, but he's very impressed with the sound of his own voice and really likes to "sing". All day, if the weather is nice. He is getting noticed. All our immediate neighbors think he's fun/funny. We know this because everyone is starting to come out of hibernation and stopping to chat with DH when he takes Aiden for his walks during the day (and when Charlie is often vocalizing). However, for all the positive comments DH has been hearing from those who have heard him, there may well be those who are annoyed by him, and aren't telling us about it, and those are the ones that we worry about. We are going to try another adjustment tonight, but I think this time it may be as tight as it can go: he still needs to be able to eat and drink and breathe and generally carry on like a regular rooster. Fingers crossed!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Friend I know says it has to be really tight.

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm

Why is everyone male bashing our roosters. Dogs bark, children cry and wail, trucks are loud, sirens abound, birds screech. Lifestyles and cultures are all offered great protection. All of that is ok and acceptable, but the poor rooster he can't dare to practice his culture and lifestyle. Off with his head they cry, he should never have been born. How dare we keep roosters.
They will march and parade to save very living creature except the rooster. Shame, shame on our society and what we've become.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:20 pm

If your dog barks excessively here its a $250.00 fine each time. I know because my neighbour was fined 3 times before they got a shock collar. If you live with neighbours closeby you have to try and curtail the 3am crowing, just a fact of life with city people moving to the country. I don't think they mind the daytime crowing its the all nighters that bother people. I had one banty with the most piercing crow ever ,crow every few minutes all night we even put him in a totally dark area to try and stop him. Didn't work.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:37 pm

The only complaint I ever got from the neighbours was when dear Lucky died. Everyone missed his crowing and wanted me to get another! We are in farm country though.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Behaviour”