Question Help me with my crazy hem

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Help me with my crazy hem

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:40 pm

If you want her to hatch chicks, buy her some eggs. If you want her to resume normal routine, you can try taking her out and blocking off the nest box, or put her in a wire dog cage for 2-4 days with food and water for her. No bedding, you want it to be cool and uncomfortable. That last one works every time.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:11 pm

i have successfully broke broodies by putting the bird(s) in wire bottom cages for 24 hours without food but access to water. i have done this every summer for the last few years, it works evey time. some people think this is cruel but its better than letting the bird sit until its health really deteriorates.

good luck!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Kelly_family
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Kelly_family » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm

So what if I make a nice bed in a hamster cage with some wooden eggs? Would she brood and then come out of it on her own?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Eventually, most hens will give up when no babies hatch. It can take months, though

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Wooden eggs will only encourage her urge to brood. Better to remove all eggs. And pick her up, remove her from her nest and put her out with the rest in the run. Or outdoors, if you free range. Every day. I have/had a seriously dedicated broody that I could not break through some of the conventional methods, so opted to let her broodiness to run its course, using the methods mentioned above (remove eggs daily from her chosen nest and put her out at least once a day with the rest of the gang). It usually took a week or two before she snapped out of it on her own. If she's a particularly aggressive broody, wear gloves to protect your hands when you are removing her from the nest.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kelly_family
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Kelly_family » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:15 am

Update. I took her out for 24 hrs and put her back in. She seemed good the first day, was out in the yard. Then back in the nesting boxes yesterday so pulled her out again last night and today she is free ranging. Have to keep her out of nesting boxes.

Return to “Behaviour”