Friendliest Chicken Breed?

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Thankyou, yes they are millie fleur or some people say mottled. They are older girls now but still good layers when it warms up, I do not supplement light.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Gorgeous girls!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:17 pm

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST
kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST Picture of my EO hen.
__TEMP__bfcdf40dbabd972f60ad0b4414bc1371-1396737194_4821_IMG_20160205_110335.jpg
That's an EO? I've never seen that type of colouring on an EO before. She looks a bit like my Speckled Sussex. LOL. I have an EO, but she's Marradunna, and the only other colour I've seen is Gorria. Is she a Mille Fleur?
p.s. they are both beautiful!
They are not "correct" colour for an EO and when most of us were first breeding them we got some off colours in these speckled and even grey varieties. I have bred against this trait but there is a breeder that is breeding them what we call these "Millie's" or "speckled" EO's. They are beautiful though!!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Yes I much prefer the millie to the other colours in the EOs and really think the EO breeders should include this colour when trying to get the breed recognized into the standard of perfection in this country , after all there are very few large fowl millies.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 am

Nothing like jumping in late!
From the breeds I have raised and bred.
The Marradunna EO was the most friendly. From chicks to adults.
BUT
a very close second in the Buckeye. Chicks are a bit more jumpy but settle down as the reach the 12 week age. Then they are calm and curious.

Both these breeds are excellent forgers....easier keepers. But, went with the Buckeye because they are an APA recognized breed and the pea comb.
Both breeds NEED breeders.....Both Breeds NEED work for the SOP........Both Breeds are lovely!
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Return to “Behaviour”