Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Too bad Robbie they really are awesome. In the 7 years I have been breeding them I have only ever had one rooster get his comb tipped by frostbite. For a Mediterranean breed they are quite winter hardy.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:23 pm

I agree with flatrockfarm EOs are nice and friendly, you don't need roosters unless you want to breed them, in my case I just have the 2 beautiful sweet mottled girls I got from flatrockfarm, these were her culls and I just love them. If I could figure out how to upload photos I'd show you how spectacular they are, very docile girls!!!

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:26 pm

kenya wrote:I agree with flatrockfarm EOs are nice and friendly, you don't need roosters unless you want to breed them, in my case I just have the 2 beautiful sweet mottled girls I got from flatrockfarm, these were her culls and I just love them. If I could figure out how to upload photos I'd show you how spectacular they are, very docile girls!!!
Kenya even my tiny single combed hens got frostbite this year :-( not sure how that happened.
Mottled? Does mottling show up in this breed?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:37 pm

you have intrigued me with EO's, I have been reading lots! I have one Grey Maran that is turning out to be quite friendly more so than my BC Marans.

gubi
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by gubi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Robbie, when we started with the Basque hens, we got the odd hen that had white mottling almost like a millie fleure or a speckled. Most of us are concentrating on breeding the red cuckoo variety but a few people have set up breeding pens of the mottled hens. Micah and Kiah on here breeds them. Here's an article she has written about them http://nabha.weebly.com/blog-and-links/ ... e-fleur-eo

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:54 pm

Euskal Oiloas hands down on that one.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:22 pm

gubi wrote:Robbie, when we started with the Basque hens, we got the odd hen that had white mottling almost like a millie fleure or a speckled. Most of us are concentrating on breeding the red cuckoo variety but a few people have set up breeding pens of the mottled hens. Micah and Kiah on here breeds them. Here's an article she has written about them http://nabha.weebly.com/blog-and-links/ ... e-fleur-eo

Thanks. Read the article and looked at all the pictures- I like the spots! A beautiful breed of chicken, for sure.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:34 am

Ok now I am on mission! I want some!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:05 am

Well, i've had a dozen breeds over the years. Dark cornish, all muscle and free range well but will go feral and you have to make an effort to tame then with treats to get close (and 3 in ten went broody and good mothers). Lakenvenders, small eggs and good on range: not aggressive or broody but flighty. Ameraucanas (descendant from Ontariochick's) not aggressive to each other, and tame with me and other people. Buckeyes: ridiculously tame, annoying almost.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:42 pm

WaupoosCowgirl wrote:Ok now I am on mission! I want some!
Whenever you are ready I could set you up with some hatching eggs :wink:

Return to “Behaviour”