Friendliest Chicken Breed?

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Re: Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Bayvistafarm wrote:
WaupoosCowgirl wrote:
ross wrote:Selection for what you want & should have according to breed standard or just plain mutts to me is the most important part of any animal husbandry . That means to cull ruthlessly & not propagate that what doesn't fit . Luck
Yes and that is why the last of our cows with horns will go this spring, sad but part of farming and raising animals.
You could try AI'ing to a polled bull. Most of the time you will get a polled calf. Any we have bred in the past, have always been born polled. Alot of our cows have holstien in them, and we have taken their horns off. I think in all the years, we only had one calf born with horns, and its mom was a horned limo.
Our herd was started with holstein crosses (products of breedings of first calf heifers) from the dairy farm down the road. We own a polled bull now and have always used a polled bull in the past, the calves we have kept from our two horned cows have all ended up with no horns. We need to cull anyway and they are the logical ones...yes we could de-horn them but the one I am not happy with her attitude... the other well.... we don't need chicken math with cows too!

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:14 pm

thegawd wrote:wait wait... are you saying that cows are born with and without horns? i thought they all had horns? no?
Depends on the breed. You can have Herefords or Polled Herefords etc. The polled breeds developed by breeding those cattle that were born with no horns (mutation).

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:16 pm

Polled Herefords are called "Apple Heads "
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:49 am

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Everybody heads up: I am going from home (Renfrew) to Kingston to London (sister's place) March 7 or 8. march 9 Simcoe (near Brantford) ON SONG (society ontario nut growers) meeting and seminar. That eve back to London. Then to Toronto one night then home (likely by Kingston) or by Hwy 7 Kaladar home. I am happy to deviate course to pick up and deliver eggs to and from (for a small donation: homemade cookies, bread, cake, cinnamon buns etc.) pm me and i'll put this on the travel offered thread.
There you go WaupoosCowgirl!!! If you want some EO eggs I can meet baronrenfrew in Brantford I am only about 15 minutes away.............. I am NOT an enabler!! LOL

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:57 am

I really have to find a better way to do the censoring....lol.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by shaded » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:24 am

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Well, i've had a dozen breeds over the years. Dark cornish, all muscle and free range well but will go feral and you have to make an effort to tame then with treats to get close (and 3 in ten went broody and good mothers). Lakenvenders, small eggs and good on range: not aggressive or broody but flighty. Ameraucanas (descendant from Ontariochick's) not aggressive to each other, and tame with me and other people. Buckeyes: ridiculously tame, annoying almost.
yes dark cornish can be more wild & standoff-ish, Buckeye ridiculous......yes they are....underfoot like puppies...but the post asks for friendly not separating out only irritatingly clingy and curious and underfoot :) so I will still say Buckeye too!
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:44 pm

WaupoosCowgirl wrote:QR_BBPOST
thegawd wrote:wait wait... are you saying that cows are born with and without horns? i thought they all had horns? no?
Depends on the breed. You can have Herefords or Polled Herefords etc. The polled breeds developed by breeding those cattle that were born with no horns (mutation).
They are working on a polled Holstein. Dehorning is NO fun. In the few slaughter cattle we have had with horns... we now use a LONG needle with a freezing agent in it... and insert that needle in the hollow above their eyes... it will almost make you weak at the knees to see it go in... but they don't seem to feel it.... and it blocks the nerves while you saw off and cauterize the horn end. They literally are calm thru out the procedure, but its still one to avoid. Its not fun.

Its nice too... you can buy sex'd semen now in some beef breeds!! But this is way off topic... this cattle thing, lol.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Picture of my EO hen.
__TEMP__bfcdf40dbabd972f60ad0b4414bc1371-1396737194_4821_IMG_20160205_110335.jpg

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Hopefully that picture isn't too big a file, will it tell me if it's too big?
Here's my other EO hen, I. Love the colour of these 2.
__TEMP__4e8788f1448e0fd35c738126d65f469d-1396737194_4844_IMG_20160205_105949.jpg

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:35 pm

kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST Picture of my EO hen.
__TEMP__bfcdf40dbabd972f60ad0b4414bc1371-1396737194_4821_IMG_20160205_110335.jpg
That's an EO? I've never seen that type of colouring on an EO before. She looks a bit like my Speckled Sussex. LOL. I have an EO, but she's Marraduna, and the only other colour I've seen is Gorria. Is she a Mille Fleur?
p.s. they are both beautiful!
Last edited by Jaye on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Behaviour”