Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Robbie wrote:
baronrenfrew wrote: Buckeyes: ridiculously tame, annoying almost.
I agree, I'm tired of stepping on them.
EO's are the same Robbie!!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:33 pm

When I go into the layer pen, the 3 black Orpingtons and 2 of the Easter Eggers are the first under my feet. Actually, they're in the way before I go in, faces pressed up against the mesh. Frankie the mixed breed blue egger will jump into my arms and the rest get toes stepped on while glued to my legs. Lots of room in there, but I have to do the "Chicken Shuffle" lol. Most stand-offish are my last red sex link and rsl mixes, the Australorp I got from KB, and the crossbred silkie and leghorn mixes. Beaks in the air until I leave.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:29 am

Interesting! Looks like there's more variability within the breeds than among the breeds. I have high hopes that my continued selection for nice friendly chickens will pay off!
No meanies here, goodbye.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:46 am

Selection for what you want & should have according to breed standard or just plain mutts to me is the most important part of any animal husbandry . That means to cull ruthlessly & not propagate that what doesn't fit . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:48 am

ross wrote:Selection for what you want & should have according to breed standard or just plain mutts to me is the most important part of any animal husbandry . That means to cull ruthlessly & not propagate that what doesn't fit . Luck
Yes and that is why the last of our cows with horns will go this spring, sad but part of farming and raising animals.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Www my eos are like that. Waiting at the door and instantly all over my feet. I have stepped on them by accident and i hate that!!! But they dont learn. One eo would stand on my head or shoulder and go around with me doing chores. Happy as anything. But i must say-most of my burds are amazing...not lap birds but not stress cases. Ross you are completely right. If you breed the nasty ones you get more nasty ones!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Totally vote for the noble Rhode Island Red? Super friendly, and are not bullied by the turkeys or geese. I agree as mentioned above, all has a lot to do with breeding. Always amazed me how folks would breed a poor performance animal esp if female to gain some income. Thinking of some horse and dog breeders I've come across .

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Everybody heads up: I am going from home (Renfrew) to Kingston to London (sister's place) March 7 or 8. march 9 Simcoe (near Brantford) ON SONG (society ontario nut growers) meeting and seminar. That eve back to London. Then to Toronto one night then home (likely by Kingston) or by Hwy 7 Kaladar home. I am happy to deviate course to pick up and deliver eggs to and from (for a small donation: homemade cookies, bread, cake, cinnamon buns etc.) pm me and i'll put this on the travel offered thread.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:58 pm

WaupoosCowgirl wrote:
ross wrote:Selection for what you want & should have according to breed standard or just plain mutts to me is the most important part of any animal husbandry . That means to cull ruthlessly & not propagate that what doesn't fit . Luck
Yes and that is why the last of our cows with horns will go this spring, sad but part of farming and raising animals.
You could try AI'ing to a polled bull. Most of the time you will get a polled calf. Any we have bred in the past, have always been born polled. Alot of our cows have holstien in them, and we have taken their horns off. I think in all the years, we only had one calf born with horns, and its mom was a horned limo.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:09 pm

wait wait... are you saying that cows are born with and without horns? i thought they all had horns? no? whats a polled bull? maybe ill get to learn 2 things today haha
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Behaviour”