Chicken training

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Chicken training

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:55 pm

KimChick wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:24 pm
I..... LIKE it!!!
ditto! Yes, Rick is a goofball going for cheap laughs but he was nice enough to the folks (who could laugh at themselves) and to the chickens. He pointed out to the world that chickens: 1. can be trained 2. are somewhat smart 3. and that the world is full of people who do odd and interesting things. Some people chase a puck with a stick and fight over the thing! and they do it on ice! and some people pay money to watch! sheesh!

In South Korea people pay to sit in a stadium and watch others play video games! or watch fat guys fight, or watch big guys in colorful leotards pretend to fight! Or watch people hit a ball with a stick through the grass for four jours! (Women's beach volleyball, sure I could watch that....but frickin' golf????) I play golf...but watch it?

Some people put their tv to the "fireplace channel" and watch the dang thing burn!

Some people put fertilizer and water on their lawn, then they get upset if it grows too much and go cut it with a machine...absurd! (i don't cut the lawn...my wife does. who gives a fig about the lawn? if i go out and run a machine i'll cut a tree so my butt is toasty warm
in the winter! and I certainly won't do it on a hot summer's day (unless i'm gonna bale it to feed the cows))

golf! I think a law should be enacted
that every golf course be trimmed by an animal (sheep, cows, etc) like in Scotland!

some people run...for fun! if i'm running, you can bet there's a nasty beast chasin' me and I only have to high jump over the closest fence!

Some people go for a walk! If you see me walking either: 1. I ran out of gas 2. i'm pushing my bicycle up a steep hill 3. i'm holding a chainsaw 4. or a shotgun! walk? walkers feed hungry bugs...where's my bike? (deerflies...my nemesis!)

Folks will burn a litre of gas to go get a litre of milk; or they will burn gas in a car to go to a gym to ride a bicycle! No wonder our planet is euchred!

Lady in a fancy restaurant (true story!), "what's the special? cow's tongue? ewwww...I don't want something from an animal's mouth...I'll have an omelet"

We watch tv and are amused at the characters we see (Seinfeld, Kramer, Woody, Roseanne) and yet when we meet real characters in our everyday lives we avoid them or get annoyed or mad!

or...my favorite..they'll pay a guy or gal...to stab them with a hot needle full of ink to draw a picture. then they'll wear clothes to show it off...then they get upset if we stare at it! if you don't want us lookin' at it, don't show it off!

c'mon eh?! get off your high horse and go get a beer, or a glass of wine, or light up a reefer and relax and laugh! you'll live longer that way!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:43 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/c ... -1.4562705

Apparently, the idea behind this "course" is that learning to train chickens will make you a better dog trainer. I'm not sure that's correct, but trying to catch spazzy leghorns all day would help teach a handler patience, and be a bit of a workout if nothing else.
Mockery? Well, that is what Mercer does, it comes as naturally as breathing to him and he's lucky enough to make a decent living at it. As "a chicken person", I didn't take any offense. I already know I'm weird and I'm at peace with it lol, but sometimes I like to see things like this so I can point to when there are people who think I couldn't get any weirder :D Like right now, on my kitchen floor, is a roastpan. In that roastpan is a broody hen. Sitting eggs. Due to hatch tomorrow-ish. But, chicken agility workshops are weirder. Then again, not so very long ago, I thought shampooing chickens was too weird for me, so it just goes to show that there aren't many lines I won't cross, and own it when I do. Um, where was I going with that? I don't know.
I didn't think Rick was being particularly rough or callous, at least he didn't panic and throw or swat at his bird. On camera anyway. More people are afraid of birds than you might think, and I've seen people lose their minds suddenly and spectacularly when a bird they were holding squirmed.
I didn't find the bit particularly funny, except Tandoori Chicken. I've got a goose named Nugget lol

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Who was training who?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Oh the chicken was definitely doing the training. See how fast 2 of them flew to the floor when he spilled the treats?? Lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:06 pm
Who was training who?
OMG this was just my reply on a different post. Hadn't read yours yet lol

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:46 pm

:farmer: yep, most "animal" training is really people training.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Yup I thought it was funny, the chicken falling off the table, they do that all the time when you put them on a raised platform and try and take their picture, do they get hurt no. Thats what he does tries to be funny and get audiences interested. Do I think it would have been better without the sillyiness, you bet! But I love chickens and see them as pets not just food.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:00 am

This thread, when I found time to read it, was more interesting in terms of what we as individuals see and how we perceive what we see, then the actual program.
No wonder police have problem to get good witnesses, we simply see different things, presumably based on past experiences.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:08 am

A police officer I know told of a "training" exercise many years ago where the RCMP "robbed" a bank. one of the "robbers" was wearing a full duck outfit- beak, feet etc.
the bank manager was the only one in the know.
they asked the witnesses to describe the assailants. no one saw a person in a duck outfit.

Return to “Behaviour”