Murder in the coop :(

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Murder in the coop :(

Post by Happy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 am

My 20 something niece moves into my home to look after animals while hubby and I are away. She loves the dogs and has a romantic notion that she wants chickens when she gets her own place so it's as much of a treat for her as it is a solution for us. Usually. On day 3 we got a text from her that she had found one of the banty hens dead in the pen when she got home from work. She couldn't tell the 2 girls apart but I knew immediately that it was Weezy. I had noticed that she was spending more time on perch and had seen both Harley the big rooster and Bebe pushing Weezy around. I should have separated the banties before I left to be on the safe side. Weezy had been beat up in the pen and was found dead in the corner. Upon inspecting Sherman (the little rooster) I see some dried blood on his comb but he looks ok otherwise. Weezy was his main girl. I had purchased them together and they were always together. I feel pretty bad about the way she went. And I feel bad that my niece was put in that position because she feels it was somehow her fault. But now she knows it's not always pretty having animals. RIP Weezy
FB_IMG_1518320545922.jpg

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Murder in the coop :(

Post by Jaye » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:51 am

Poor Weezy. RIP, little one.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:56 am

I am sorry that happened for you, but # 1 rule of poultry people going on holidays (especially for b-day celebration)
...as you wave goodby at the airport your last instructions should be.....for any advice on, or help with chickens, post on :PTO:
......and don't tell me if a chicken died....
it's not like you can do anything accept feel badly about it, and who needs that on a holiday?

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:35 pm

I had the flu and I could hardly even get back up to the house from the barn I was so sick. I got my sister to do the chores for me for a couple days , she said the rooster was acting strange chasing one hen all over the place and beating her up, the next day she found the hen caught hanging in the wire. I said thats strange a rooster wouldn't behave like that, so she said she separated the 2 and put the hen in a separate pen by herself. Once I was feeling better and did the chores myself, the" hen" turned out to be my show quality blue ameraucana rooster who is now got a severely damaged eye, I'm lucky he wasn't killed. Ahhh sxvcc
Because the ameraucana didn't have a big comb she didn't recognize him as a rooster plus she had to have let him out of his pen and put him in with the other rooster.
What can I say, she tried.
Sorry about your little girl.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:58 pm

RIP little Weezy.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:31 pm

:sighke1:
Rest in peace, little Weezy.

going quackers
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by going quackers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Ugh I am sorry, that would have been upsetting for all.

going quackers
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by going quackers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm

kenya wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:35 pm
I had the flu and I could hardly even get back up to the house from the barn I was so sick. I got my sister to do the chores for me for a couple days , she said the rooster was acting strange chasing one hen all over the place and beating her up, the next day she found the hen caught hanging in the wire. I said thats strange a rooster wouldn't behave like that, so she said she separated the 2 and put the hen in a separate pen by herself. Once I was feeling better and did the chores myself, the" hen" turned out to be my show quality blue ameraucana rooster who is now got a severely damaged eye, I'm lucky he wasn't killed. Ahhh sxvcc
Because the ameraucana didn't have a big comb she didn't recognize him as a rooster plus she had to have let him out of his pen and put him in with the other rooster.
What can I say, she tried.
Sorry about your little girl.
Yikes. Glad he did survive.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 pm

:rip: Weezy
That is always a tough spot to be in. But as long as your niece has someone to turn to and ask the "should I be worried when I see this happen in the coop?" question, she will be fine. First year for a new owner is the toughest anyways. The birds tend to get everything and some experience in the neighborhood is helpful.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 am

Sorry about Weezy :(.

Linda

Return to “Behaviour”