Sometimes I could smack them!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Sometimes I could smack them!

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:25 pm

:chicken-egg:
Are there times when you feel that you could just smack them? The chickens I have now love to perch up high, so I built their perches high for them, I also gave them much more space than needed, and yet each night there is fighting for the best spot, even worse is the one or two that likes to hop around from perch to perch knocking off the less dominant hens. EXCEPT for when I leave the pen doors open, everyone packs onto the doors with no problem. Plywood about 1/8 inch with wire on it as well instead of the nice perches. SMACK!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Re: Sometimes I could smack them!

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:23 pm

And then there is the young roosters who want to do nothing but dig out the nests, throwing out the nice grass I had cut and dried specifically for nesting material and also smashing the eggs. So I closed off a large pen for them because I thought the older rooster was not letting them eat and drink properly. For the last two weeks they just sat up on their perches all day. I butchered one yesterday and let the rest run around all the pens again today. Within minutes the young roosters were back in the nests, they will spend all day in them. SMACK!