Question Argh... silly broiler!

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Argh... silly broiler!

Post by Zlorfik » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 pm

:big chicken: :sAng_banghead: :dunno:
Alright... so I've got 60+ broilers at 5 weeks old. We want them to day range in a fenced yard which to my surprise they are doing great!!! So, that's good news... but they like it SO much that there is no putting back in the barn. They're just not interested in going in. When I take one and gently nudge it in there, the silly flesh ball just wallows there, on the darn doorstep. My layers, by then, are roosting comfortably and are aghast at the ruckus. :gaah: any suggestions on getting them back in? See picture.

I realize this is a first world problem: they're healthy and happy and foraging... for white cross, pretty good. But :gaah:!!!!
Attachments
IMG_0936.JPG

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Argh... silly broiler!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:10 pm

A trail of bread crumbs, Hansel and Gretel style?

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Food... ah yes, a broiler's singular aim! How about lighting on the coop? It's dark now but maybe tomorrow I'll turn it on?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:33 pm

That might help. As it gets dark outside, most chickens will gravitate towards light...but broilers are brain damaged so who knows roflmbo

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Yeah, good ideas: light in the barn might help, as would lobbing their favourite treats (bits of hotdog or something) inside and close the door behind them once they're all busy chowing down in there. Hopefully once they'done, they'll likely want a nap, and they won't even notice when you turn off the lights. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Yes I know, a classic case of favouring the breasts over the brains.... I'm talking chicken here. Thank you all!

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:00 pm

It worked! Like a charm... put the Led up while still light, went back at dusk and all but one wee in. Thanks everyone!

Return to “Behaviour”