New bird introduction

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

New bird introduction

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:02 am

So the last gosling hatched was a month younger than the older two. So the adults adopted the older two in a heartbeat, but junior having been raised with chickens and turkeys, didn't know what a goose was and ran in fear every time. Then the others tried to establish juniors spot in the pecking order with a bit of light pecking, well junior thought they were trying to kill him. So I tried three times over the last month with the same result. Now junior is bigger and I rediscovered a pen stashed in the back shed. Nowhere to run and hide and he's stuck inside with an older sibling. This oughta work.
image.jpg
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

G Williams
On the Roost

Re: New bird introduction

Post by G Williams » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Some times that's what I do.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 am

I've got one much the same, terrified of the older geese, and if one touches him, or even looks like it might be thinking about it, he screams like the mother of all Hawks has just sunk talons in him. I always give in and 'rescue' him, but that's gotta stop real soon so I'm curious how this will work.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:51 pm

image.jpg
Junior is in the shade grazing.

Well Junior was yesterday in the cage with an older group member. I tried letting them loose but there was too much chasing.

Today 4:00pm. After a day solo in the cage I let junior out. He was chased a bit and has been "in and out" with the clan.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Silverlacedmom
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Silverlacedmom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:06 pm

Bless his heart!

Return to “Behaviour”