Cold weather pecking?

BrianR32GTR
Newly Hatched Chick

Cold weather pecking?

Post by BrianR32GTR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:48 pm

I ended up resolving my problem. From what I can tell they were just bored. I try to have something to occupy them constantly now in the winter months. I spread out scratch for them in the run the night before so they have some for the next day. I also hang lettuce and cabbage which keeps them occupied for a long stretch of time.

I had also noticed that my hen that was picked on the most is my hen that likes to go broody and sit in the nesting box. I feel as if they were sick of her sitting in it so they were beating her up. Picked up new nesting boxes from the TSC store and they seem to be spreading out now and sharing.
Gizmo wrote:Im having the same issue now with pecking. Their run is covered and I have tarps all around it, plenty of room so they must be bored. What do others do stop this? I can put lettuce in or hang cabbage is that it? Where do you find blue one?

When did you wrap your run with the tarp? I found mine started pecking closer to when I wrapped my run as well. I think the fact that they couldnt see out very well made them feel confined and feel like they had less space leading to pecking. As long as I keep them occupied I havent been having problems.
Located in Flamborough, Ontario!

Gizmo
Newly Hatched Chick

Cold weather pecking?

Post by Gizmo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:11 pm

I wrapped my run in the fall. I've gotten some straw and hung cabbage. So far so good. Fingers crossed that it was just boredom. I'll have to keep close eye on them. But so far it doesn't look like anyone has losses more feathers.

Return to “Behaviour”