Information introducing dog to chickens

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

introducing dog to chickens

Post by Microraptor » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

i was wondering what recommended strategies anyone has for introducing their dog to new chickens
we have a large 2.5 year old shepherd mix with a pretty strong prey drive, he will chase down deer and rodents but shows no interest in wild birds and gets along with the cat, who he likes to play rough with. for the first 3 months of his life he lived on a farm with chickens so i'm hoping he may have some vague recollection of them.
we are getting day old chicks, so when/how would be the best way to introduce them?
of course i can't talk about my ghoul without introducing him... his name is Pushok
chicken artist :rooster7:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:51 pm

He's lovely! I hope Ross will weigh in here, since he has had some experience with introducing his German Shepherd to his chickens.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Nice lookin dog . Is your dog broke to a long lead so you have more than voice / reg whistle control before you introduce to anything & I started with a muzzle when near chickens so no chance of serious mistake , blood taste . Our shepherd had never seen a chicken , city , dog when we got her at 2yrs old . Ours loved to chase squirrels etc & still will if we let her or tell her . They must know all commands , come , down , sit , stay , walk before introducing to anything & don't set her up for failure only success . Pic of Nina day after we got with muzzle on . Now don't use we only used when training with chickens .Calm Repitition & perfect practise & always quit the training period on a high note . One more thing training critters is a 24/7 thing , if you let them get away with a wrong you have trained them to do a wrong by not correcting them . Regular controlled exposure to chickens is also a must . Luck
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by ross on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Now .. Still interested but doesn't chase .weve had here 8 mths & she loves to be in barn with them & watching them walk around her . We do not leave her or had any of our dogs on their own with the chickens yet . Luck
Attachments
image.jpeg

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Microraptor your dog looks a lot like our last one King Shepherd 130 lbs when filled out .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Microraptor your dog is gorgeous!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:11 pm

I agree with Ross's suggestions, and also ad, bring chickens into your house as well, to show him they are considered pack and are to be protected rather than hunted. Keep the muzzle on and when he shows he can leave them be, let them climb all over him.

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Microraptor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 pm

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Microraptor your dog looks a lot like our last one King Shepherd 130 lbs when filled out .
thanks for the advice! he walks on a short lead and likes staying outside tethered. i'm thinking of introducing chicks when they're in our pet carrier, letting him have a good sniff close up, see how much he reacts.

yes he looks a lot like a king shepherd! i love those dogs.. a lot of people say he looks like a king shepherd, shiloh, or american alsatian but he's wayyy lighter. all fur, actually weighs around 55lbs
but he's from rural siberia (long story) so theres no way he has any of those breeds in him. his grandmother was supposedly a GSD/caucasian ovcharka mix

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Ahh that explains the face expression . Luck hope helped . Patience is a virtue .

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Microraptor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:33 pm

ross here's some photos more true to his weight, of course i like showing off his fluffier, more majestic side more ;P

Return to “Behaviour”