Helpful Hens

KimChick
Head Chicken

Helpful Hens

Post by KimChick » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:11 pm

There is something special going on when hens help each other.
... especially when they are given a messy treat!
Today, they had cream of wheat with raisins, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a bit of cornmeal to thicken better, and crushed egg shells.
They inhaled it. You'd think it was their only meal of the day.
During all this, they cleaned each others' beaks. Who cares if it was self-serving! What can I say? It was nice to watch.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Helpful Hens

Post by Happy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Cute!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Helpful Hens

Post by TomK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:50 am

Kimchick..I'd quite like to treat the girls with that type of meal but i have 42 birds at the moment...including the roos...so I'd go broke being that lavish....but what a nice idea..make some for my breakfast will ya...crushed shells and all...i could use the calcium... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Flat Rock Farm

Helpful Hens

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:06 pm

I love watching mine after I give them some yogurt, LOL

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Helpful Hens

Post by Happy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:10 pm

I gave mine leftover ribs yesterday. Very bad idea. I had chopped the rack up into individual bones so there would be less fights. I got out of that pen fast when rib bones started flying lol. Vultures!!!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Helpful Hens

Post by KimChick » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 pm

TomK wrote:QR_BBPOST Kimchick..I'd quite like to treat the girls with that type of meal but i have 42 birds at the moment...including the roos...so I'd go broke being that lavish....but what a nice idea..make some for my breakfast will ya...crushed shells and all...i could use the calcium... :running-chicken:
If I had as many as you do, I don't think I would be treating them either.
I have 15 + a rooster. The treat cost me just pennies. The cream of wheat was old; I've had it a long time since before we moved here and that was a year ago - 3 "servings" of that according to directions so ~ 1/4 C, and 1 C total of everything else, plus the eggshells stirred in. This is a winter time thing that I'm trying out, and It's not everyday. Wouldn't want to spoil them too much. :-)

KimChick
Head Chicken

Helpful Hens

Post by KimChick » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Flat Rock Farm wrote:QR_BBPOST I love watching mine after I give them some yogurt, LOL
I get a good chuckle out of that, too!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Helpful Hens

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:54 pm

I love my broody hen with chicks a few days old, letting the little ones clean her beak. Fascinates me every time, and the ways she talks to them while its going on.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Helpful Hens

Post by KimChick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST I love my broody hen with chicks a few days old, letting the little ones clean her beak. Fascinates me every time, and the ways she talks to them while its going on.
Oh my gosh, that would be special to watch.
I also like watching our rooster, Humphrey, make sounds to attract hens to food that he wants to share. Humphrey is the pic I have in my posts.

Flat Rock Farm

Helpful Hens

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 am

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST I love my broody hen with chicks a few days old, letting the little ones clean her beak. Fascinates me every time, and the ways she talks to them while its going on.
Watching broody's with their babies is the best!!

Return to “Behaviour”