Chicken chickens

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Chicken chickens

Post by Robbie » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:52 pm

Today was the first day my chickens saw snow- although it was snow with a nasty crust of ice over top. They refused to come out of the coop. I put some straw and scratch down for them, they came out, did a half hearted attempt at scratching for fifteen minutes or so. The Buckeye and cornish hens went right back into the coop- but the Buckeye rooster and the (I think they are) red sex link mix hens all tried to go around their usual territory. They were totally freaked out by the snow- they all had the deer in the headlights look, and had no idea how to get around. Some tried flying to get around. The Buckeye rooster took it all in stride, he was the only one who was willing to walk around like nothing was different. The ice crust was strong enough to support their weight so maybe it was the slipperiness of the ice? Dunno. Anyhow I had to rescue one hen out of their favourite roosting spruce tree (she was missing at bedtime) and one hen decided to stay pretty well in one spot the whole time. And, out of sheer boredom I guess, another cornish hen has decided to go broody on me- silly girl. NOT going to happen. But at least she chose a nesting box.
I do hope they get used to the snow! But it's funny to watch the chickens when they get out of their "comfort zone".
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Re: Chicken chickens

Post by SandyM » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:39 am

I can actually say some of my chickens skate rather well. Some weren't hesitant at all and were guns a blazing like normal out of the coop. Some took a few minutes. I was determined to get everyone out so I made some oatmeal with cranberries and raisins and stood back by the deck with the familiar treat tray. They all came over despite the roosters protesting calls. The rooster stayed in the pen and paced back and forth.

I removed the rooster at least half a dozen times from nesting boxes ... Got fed up with him holding the girls back so I carried him away From the coop and put him in the leafy area and let him figure it out. He did. But he was the first on a roost at dusk LOL.

My silkies didn't hesitate. They were even free ranging a little while we worked on the roof...since my big Roo had an invisible barrier it was safe for my little girls.

It is definitely amusing to watch the different personalities ..my EE's are definitely the bravest of the bunch...no hesitation from them whatsoever

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:59 am

lol. I had to do a "rescue" too. Yesterday I saw flapping from too high up, and it's a pullet sitting/wedged on the fencing where the round arches meet the squareness of the coop. About 5' off the ground. Just sitting there. Wide eyed. Ah ha ha ha. Need more straw.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:24 am

The water freezes too quickly to keep the flock with drinkable water during the day....so I give them a bowl of "snow" They luv pecking it & they are getting some liquid.
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:21 am

That's a great idea. For IF it ever gets that cold here. Water isn't even freezing over night. I'm so disgruntled, WHERE IS MY WINTER!!

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:51 am

Don't worry winter's coming. They are calling for 20 below later this week in our area.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:52 am

oops double post
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:14 am

We always seems to be a bit warmer for the first part of the winter ... Lake Erie is shallow and gets almost too warm in the summer so it stays warmer around here for a bit longer. Until it freezes then it's what I call a good winter!

But I sure could use some -20 weather with a good 4+ feet of snow for about 6 months. Then I'll be ready for spring and fall. (Skip summer all together)

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:19 am

I have winter here if anyone wants it...lol
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:30 am

Me too. You're welcome to it.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Behaviour”