Need experienced opinions please

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:23 pm

I have a bad case of mean girl syndrome going on. One of my older girls had a very hard molt. She's the tiniest barred rock and lowest on pecking order but had so far been managing to still intimidate the young Cochin's to stay away. Until last week. Ive seen here running from the rooster but have also seen her being chased and pecked by two younger barred rocks. I have found her twice in the past week wedged behind the scratch barrel hiding. No visible wounds just scared. This morning she came to the back door screaming. Someone pulled all the pin feathers out of her back. Couple of peck marks on her head and scratches on back. I'm not positive who to seperate. Does this look like rooster damage or mean girls? She's so high strung she screams when anyone comes near her.
IMG_2344-960x960.JPG
IMG_2343-960x960.JPG
I know that area was covered in pin feathers yesterday. Thanks.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Get some BluKote in TSC horse area. Spray or paint it onto her back. This may help to stop the picking. Can you get her a saddle? This will help too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Personally if you can't find which who is doing it id seperate her from rest for her sake till she is in better shape . If you have one or two gentle others you can put with her the better . When ready to go back in main pen introduce her/them to flock in a wire pen till used to . From my experience no matter what or how she must be seperated or will die . Chickens are cannabalistic & if blood starts they will kill her . Luck .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Thx @Killerbunny. Wouldn't you know I loaned my bluecoat bottle to sis-in-law for a pecked chick last week. In the middle of fashioning her a saddle right now but I hesitate putting it on her when she's all prickly.
@ross thx she is in a cage in the basement right now and for the next few days. Chickens can sure be nasty.

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:53 pm

that pic looks to me more like over zealous rooster damage.. message me your address and i will send you a hen saddle
Sue

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Oh @Silky Sue that's very sweet of you! I'm new to the world of rooster damage. My other little guy weighs like a pound so can't cause much of a problem. I tend to think that the rooster did this too. But since this girl seems to have multiple issues right now I guess she needs to be the one removed. I really wanted to put the offender in solitary confinement. Do you have a pattern you could share for the hen saddle? I have a feeling I'm going to need a few of these and I can sew (sort of lol)

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:23 pm

my mom actually sews the saddles..... not my strong suit..lol
she got the pattern off the internet

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:24 pm

You also might wanna shorten & blunt your roosters claws & beak for every bodies safety if it's him . Luck
Last edited by ross on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:41 pm

I have some saddles I will gladly send you. PM me your addy if you like and I'll get sent off this week.

Cheers

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Someone is pulling out the pin feathers, they are rich in blood and until her feathers come in you will have to separate her or put something bad tasting on her to stop it. They will stop when her feathers come back in.

Return to “Behaviour”