Free range-ish

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Free range-ish

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm almost down to the wire in chickens, mostly I have a bunch of roosters, there is a group that loves to free range and it's nice to watch them. I have to be really careful here, I have a higher number of predators than most people. My intention was after I sold off the last of the females, I would keep the roaming group of boys until the last auction or until snow comes. They are nice looking birds, Barred Rocks, Jersey Giant, Wyandott-ish Red layer with an all white tail. This way I was thinking I would just open the doors in the morning and let them run all day. They don't have a lot of value money wise but it's nice to watch them, so if one gets eaten it's a bummer but not a hit to the piggy bank. However since we had frost and most of the bigger bugs are gone, they don't seem to have any interest in going out. When I open the door, instead of tumbling out in a hurry and taking off all over, they either stay in the barn or only forage a few feet from the door. I thought maybe it was because of the cold windy days we are having but even nice days it's a no go. Any one else notice this? I might as well just sell them off with the pullets.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Free range-ish

Post by ross » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:19 pm

Time for Hawk migration maybe one came thru & scared / buzzed um . Had one here few days back , chickens took rest of day to come out from under cedars then another 2 days to leave barn as a mass . Bugless will also keep um close to home if feed & protection from wind & predators is in coop I've found .
Spreading some whole corn on ground out where you want them might help too . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Free range-ish

Post by kenya » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Agee with Ross, something scared them.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Free range-ish

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:29 pm

Could be spooked by something, I was wondering about that but I'm usually close by. They used to do this clever thing I called wagon wheel ranging, they form a circle with an axle in the center, where ever the axle walks, the roosters move in a circle and forage, want to know what the axle was, it's my cat! Lol she is a good size and I guess they feel safe from bird attack with a cat around.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Free range-ish

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:38 am

Mine haven't ranged much at all since Lucky went away and with the hawk migration on they're sticking close to home.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Behaviour”