A cornish pullet has gone missing, I think she went broody. How can I find her?

SandyM

Re: A cornish pullet has gone missing, I think she went broody. How can I find her?

Post by SandyM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Don't give up ... I've read on PSO how they chalk it up to a predator loss and they come around the corner with new chicks, I think JimW said that a month or so ago

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: A cornish pullet has gone missing, I think she went broody. How can I find her?

Post by Robbie » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Sandy, I look for her every day, now that it's freezing and there's no water around (Except the outdoor chicken bucket but I haven't seen her there) I doubt she'll survive. It will be a miracle if she does. Still, cornish are known to be tough. we'll see, the chicks are due in mid January.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:58 pm

i had some chickens disappear after a coyote attack...the rooster struggled his way back home 2 weeks later....in the dead of winter 2 years ago-we all know how pleasant that winter was. i found him shivering on the ramp to the closed chicken door at dark at -30 in the wind one night. he spent 3 days in the house warming up, and then back out to the coop. it was like a huge family reunion when he got back into the coop. I will keep my fingers crossed for her safe return....maybe even with chicks in tow!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks WLLady! Your poor rooster- at least the cornish has no comb or wattles to freeze, although it's supposed to go down to -15 later this week.
No luck today, of course with the freezing rain the chickens didn't leave any footprints outside- I was hoping that I could find her that way. Nothing :-(

clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by clawton » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:40 pm

I had the same thing happen this fall with one of my Cornish hen
On the same week I lost to birds to a coon so I chalked her up to another loss
3 weeks later she's at the feeder with 13 day old chicks bustling around her

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Hatch day would have been around now, I keep hoping.

Return to “Behaviour”