Pecking and mounting at a young age?

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by nekoatsume » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:19 am

I have successfully integrated my mutt chicks all together, no fighting between them despite the younger lot being 3-4 weeks old. However, my lone Silkie is picking on its mate - a slightly older "smooth Silkie". Constantly following, pecking, trying to mount. I think these birds are 8-12 weeks old. Is this a sign that my Silkie is a roo? Already?? Or just a bully? He/she leaves the other chicks alone, seems frightened of them even.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:32 pm

Probably a cockeral, sorry.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Yep, you might have to split them up for a month or two. When birds are different breeds/ages you have to deal with bullies or the birds on bottom of the picking order. A small pen is helpful (or for bullies i like to use "no peck peepers" commonly used for feather picking in pheasants and great to "slow down" aggressive birds).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by nekoatsume » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:56 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Yep, you might have to split them up for a month or two. When birds are different breeds/ages you have to deal with bullies or the birds on bottom of the picking order. A small pen is helpful (or for bullies i like to use "no peck peepers" commonly used for feather picking in pheasants and great to "slow down" aggressive birds).
Sorry, I should be more clear - the bird being picked on is one week older, max. These two are very close in age. They are leaving the younger chicks alone.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:57 pm

The one doing the mounting is 99% likely a boy.....and feeling his oats....prob better to separate him from any girls until they are ready to lay...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:11 pm

My free range youngsters are just over 9 weeks and one of the boys is not only trying to mount one of his siblings he had a try at an old hen too silly thing! Got a short lesson. BTW the pecking may be the normal neck or head grab a rooster gives the hen when breeding her rather than bullying.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:16 am

I've just cooped up 3 guys, 10 weeks old running around the yard with runaway libidos. Their father was the same way, baby crow at 5 weeks old, harassing the ladies by 3 months. His 3 sons, despite having access to hens and laying age pullets, are hopping on EVERYTHING, including ducklings and even my adolescent turkey tom, Justin. Figured I better lock them up before they killed a duckling or Justin took greater offence and killed one of the cockerels. I think you likely have a precocious boy rather than a bully, and if you will want him to breed any of the pullets he's with in the future, you should give him his own space (or some more willing hens lol). If the pullets take a dislike to him, when you actually want them fertilized, they will just eject the sperm of roosters they don't like.

Return to “Behaviour”