Question Feather Eater

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Feather Eater

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Feather picking can also be 1.boredom and 2. Lack of space. That's why birds raised in confinement pick feathers (and get their beaks cut). Another option is "no pick peepers" which are commonly used for pheasants which can be nasty feather pickers.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Gizmo
Newly Hatched Chick

Feather Eater

Post by Gizmo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:13 am

Well I had 3 feather eaters who are now in the freezer. I will see how things go and hopefully there are no more. If so I may try the no pick peepers. I did add additional protein once a week and will still do this since some of the girls are having a hard molt.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Feather Eater

Post by WLLady » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:10 am

sorry to hear they wouldn't quit....hopefully there are no more!!!!!
i just had feather explosion in my barn too. hard hard moult on about 90% of my girls. i think the heat this summer might be to blame, or they know something we don't about the upcoming winter (hope not!) but i'd say at least 60% of my birds are down to less than 50% feather coverage!!!! overnight! thank goodness i have a big bag of catfood LOL. treats all around tonight and for the next 3 weeks or so i think. egg production dropped dramatically the last 4 days, so i should have clued in earlier...but alas, i am a tad dense sometimes.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Feather Eater

Post by Maximus » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:37 am

It definitely is hard to cull and I can say it doesn't get easier. For me anyways .. But I've had my fair share of bullies and once they were removed from the flock the peace that transforms before your eyes lets you know you did the right thing.

Good luck.

Gizmo
Newly Hatched Chick

Feather Eater

Post by Gizmo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:11 pm

Fingers crossed that it is all good and that one that have huge bald spots get some feathers for winter. Poor things. I may have to take up knitting ;)

Return to “Behaviour”