The problem with older hens.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: The problem with older hens.

Post by Robbie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Thanks WLLady. Gives me an idea of what to expect. I think WWW has success with elderly chickens too!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:48 pm

:iagree:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Actually WLLady you made me feel better, I lost my oldest at seven and her daughter at five this summer. I wondered what I did wrong since some have made it close to ten before.

Robbie, no I would say this hen (standard Cochin) was easy going, I think what is part of the problem is two older hens are gone now and she let the power go to her head. I call her the white queen and she rules with an iron fist. The other problem is they are from different years so that bonding is not there. Older hens raised together will often be friends for life, but not always. There are a few old bantams she won't touch but I'm sure the language must be bad. She makes that bossy sound and they answer as if saying just try it tubby!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:10 pm

No worries, Robbie - "Been there, done that" myself more than once. :-)
Last edited by Jaye on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:13 pm

WLLady wrote:No worries! It depends on the breed really. A 3 year old production leghorn is pretty old. In my experience anything over 5 is pretty respectable. My oldest girl is almost 9 now....she is a rir x br mix. A lot of production breeds if they are going to die early do it at either about 22 weeks or 2 years....i find if they make it past that they do pretty well till 5 or beyond.
That's comforting, because one of my old girls is a production hen - BSL - and she'll be 5 next spring. Keeping my fingers crossed that she makes it through this winter unscathed, because I am very fond of her.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:15 am

My two oldest girls are hatchery hens, a barred rock and a red sexlink, both 12 years old, and both a little crotchety, but I figure they've earned it LOL The rsl has always been cranky with younger birds, in fact, she's a killer and unless I have a very protective mama in the coop, I can't allow hens to hatch in the same coop as her, or integrate young ones in. Once, three half-grown Giants, 2 cockerels and a pullet, accidentally got closed in with her for the night, and when I found them, the pullet was dead and I wasn't sure either of the boys were going to survive. But once a bird hits breeding age, she ignores it. Strange creature. The BR is a loner and doesn't really like birds of any age. She doesn't pick on them, just won't allow anyone to touch her. She lives in a bubble, has to have lots of space to herself on the roost, and woe betide anyone trying to snuggle for warmth!
The oldest hen I ever had was Googles, a red sexlink, who died at 16 in a freak flood. I hatched the last egg she ever laid :) so she didn't actually become a mother until after she died! She wasn't crotchety at all, was very easygoing with all birds, I never saw her peck at ANY of them, yet she occupied the best spots on the roosts and always first to the food.
Anyone who thinks birds can't have personalities have never spent any time watching them, I think.

Return to “Behaviour”