Aggression vs. fertility in roosters

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Aggression vs. fertility in roosters

Post by Robbie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:56 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:I'm wondering if some people didn't know the difference between mating behaviour and aggression...for instance, an inexperienced randy cockerel may seem aggressive when dragging other birds around by neck and head feathers, but that's because he has an idea what he wants but no idea how to get it ;). I have a rooster that bites me if he sees skin. But he's not being vicious, he thinks I'm a strange bald hen lol, and if i dont pry him off my foot or arm, I'll have a slimy spot to clean up. He's very randy, can service LOADS of hens, and his daughters are excellent layers...but not an aggressive bone in his body. If there's a fight, Joe is running in the other direction, and he never starts one.
The aggressive rooster in question was definitely a spurs- up- both feet flying- need to take a stick in with you and wear protective clothing- kind of rooster that wouldn't quit. Not for me thanks.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Maybe this person had a vicious little devil with great fertility and traded him in for a sad sack rooster who seemed "friendly" but was just un-vigorous?

Either way I've never come across this notion before, not even in the old-timey poultry breeding books. I vote BS. poop

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:40 pm

My Lucky has had a few goes at breeding my boots and seems confused about why his chirping about the treats he's found me isn't attractive. The girls love him and last year his fertility was close to 100%. There that's jinxed it now!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sat May 07, 2016 8:06 pm

So here's an update, small sample size (one) but what I've seen: My Buckeye rooster is non-aggressive to people but very fertile. He's a year old now. One rooster to 11 hens, almost all the eggs are fertile. This is in spring, we'll see how he does in winter.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sat May 07, 2016 9:03 pm

I was told by an experienced Poultry breeder that I was making a mistake giving away all my aggressive roos.
He said that before I breed, I should separate all the roos into pens where they can see each other.
His thought was the adrenaline pumping for a week or so would make the roo more fertile.
I never bothered, I just don't feel like housing, feeding & caring for a bird who attacks me.
I have an Extremely tame EE roo who luves cuddles, & is Veri fertile.
Sounds like "old school" logic, just my 2 cents worth (*o*)
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Sun May 08, 2016 8:45 am

Ok, first chicken content post for me. And I have no clue what I am talking about....
:new:
but this idea of aggression being linked to fertility makes no sense to me. Males produce millions of sperms per day. Does it really matter if there are say 5% or even 10% less (if it's really linked to testosterone?) All it takes is one...
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun May 08, 2016 8:48 am

hee hee hee hee

( I also wonder Why anyone would want to have "the One" produce another aggressive rooster? Who needs them? )
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sun May 08, 2016 8:49 am

poultry_admin wrote:QR_BBPOST Ok, first chicken content post for me. And I have no clue what I am talking about....

but this idea of aggression being linked to fertility makes no sense to me. Males produce millions of sperms per day. Does it really matter if there are say 5% or even 10% less (if it's really linked to testosterone?) All it takes is one...
All the sperm in the world won't fertilize the egg if the rooster doesn't want to mate the hen, or if he's such a wuss she won't let him........
:running-chicken:
Although strangely most people seem to agree that the crazy aggressive rapist roosters don't get far either.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sun May 08, 2016 8:59 am

any aggressive roosters iv had have been shot. LOL Seriously though i take them out after their first offence, i dont wait for another, it could be my kids eyes the next time and I wont let that happen.

I havent had any agressive roosters in 2 years now so I believe my theory is working.

my sweetest roosters are my top quality reds, not a bad bone in them, gentle on the hens, one pen has 2 hens and there backs are in perfect condition, and they never attack people, heck you can pet them. but be another rooster and you'll get your butt handed to you, they stick up for there ladies! 100% fertility in both of my red pens.

Im thinking theres 2 kinds of aggressiveness, one who fights everything including people and is rough on the hens... take those out.

and ones that will only fight for there hens... keep these ones.

ones that run for cover first and wont stick up for there ladies... take those out as well.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun May 08, 2016 9:09 am

I will go out on a limb, and say the two aren't related.
In my 20+ years of raising poultry, I can't think of instance where the aggression and fertility were connecter.
I have had aggressive and almost mellow Ameraucana roosters, fertility always good.
and I have had aggressive and supper mellow Wyandottes and the fertility is always iffy early in the spring.
BUT, I never run two roosters in the same flock and in the end all of this is an anecdotal evidence, unless you do actual trials and I am not planning to do that. :)

Return to “Behaviour”