Domestication: side effects

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun May 22, 2016 7:23 am

I see many of you complain about many turkeys being unreliable as mothers. I wonder if its a side effect of domestication.

Case in point: Russian researchers working with animals at a fur farm, have developed a domestic fox through selective breeding. After 7 generations of breeding animals that were frieldliest: their colour changed, developing mottled black and white; and their voice changed as they developed a bark. Clearly something with being friendly changed the brain in other ways as well. I've seen it on CBC The Nature of Things, and read various articles. Here's something recent. http://www.fastcompany.com/3037451/pet- ... icated-fox

Obviously domestic animals were bred to intensify certain traits, but we also got some good or bad side effects.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 22, 2016 9:17 am

In the wild a turkey will lay a huge clutch of eggs and most young will not survive. I tend to think with the turkeys that we don't breed for the strongest survival traits. e.g. we may save a poult that gets lost in the wet grass but in the wild only the strongest will keep up with mother. When I hatch in the incubator I mark the ones that hatch fast and in a 24 hr window. I keep the others but grow for processing only. I will only breed those fast hatchers. I'm noticing that my girls aren't especially vicious when I check them. Is it because I'm familiar with them or are they just less protective - I don't know. Interesting topic.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun May 22, 2016 9:33 am

I have always noticed with the chickens, really good sensible mothers have good daughters. I would think it should follow with turkeys. I noticed as well with the wild turkeys they seem to raise the young in groups, so more eyes on the babies. I never had turkeys but I keep hearing that they are a little short on brain power lol, I will leave that opinion up to you turkey breeders. I want a turkey, I like the Royal Palms, I think they look nice as far as turkeys go. ;p

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 22, 2016 11:59 am

Love my turkeys. First year girls seem to be a bit clueless and I was told by a well know breeder it's a bit like giving a 10yr old a baby and no instruction!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Behaviour”