Roosting?

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Roosting?

Post by muffin57 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:10 pm

When do chickens start to roost? At what age? My babies are only about 15 days old, so I probably don't have to worry about it for awhile yet, but I have no idea when.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Roosting?

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:37 pm

Just as soon as you give them something to roost on :)
3 weeks old LF Wyandottes
Chicks_roosting.jpg

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Roosting?

Post by muffin57 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Comes natural to them eh! Thanks Ontario Chick. Good to know.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Roosting?

Post by la-chicken » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:34 am

BUT!
if they begin to roost too early..it can lead to crooked keels.
The keel is super soft in young birds. Any pressure can push the keel and it can become deformed.
Cooked keels look terrible on the dinner table and can hinder sales down the road. Crooked keels are often not used as breeding birds.

I introduce a flat, low perch at 16 weeks. The Keel is harder then.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Roosting?

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:07 am

Haven't come across that problem and we process some young cockerels at 16 weeks, by that time they have perched and free ranged.
In my experience, if you don't give them something suitable to perch on, they will find something completely unsuitable ;)

la-chicken
On the Roost

Roosting?

Post by la-chicken » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 am

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST Haven't come across that problem and we process some young cockerels at 16 weeks, by that time they have perched and free ranged.
In my experience, if you don't give them something suitable to perch on, they will find something completely unsuitable ;)
That's great!
I butcher at 24 weeks. Last year I had a batch of younger chicks fly over the fence. And they began perching with the Turkeys ( narrow high 2x4). Those are the birds that developed a keel problem. Not bad but had a bend. So they were butchered as well. I do offer a flat 2x4 or 2x6( flat side up) 6 inches off the ground. And they like this. Fills the need to perch. Mine also have a free run pen. It is a 50x50 foot area with their own shelter ( Grow out area: pullets in one and cockerels in another) These birds go outdoors at 14 weeks- more due to weather rather than age.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Roosting?

Post by Robbie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:25 am

I did a bit of research on crooked keels a while ago, apparently it's a genetic predisposition. So if they are not predisposed to it, giving them too- narrow a roost won't give them crooked keels- but if they are, a too- narrow roost will likely cause crooked keels. I give my chicks low, very wide roosts to practice on, so far so good. My first batch of chicks took to the roosts right away, my second batch did not- especially the Cornish, they liked to sit on the bedding. The first batch was Buckeyes and lighter egg layers, the second Buckeyes and Dark Cornish. The Buckeyes followed whatever the rest of the group did- roosted in the first batch, but not till much later in the second.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

la-chicken
On the Roost

Roosting?

Post by la-chicken » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:38 am

True Robbie,
It can be a genetic thing but it can be environmental.
I just eliminate the environmental influences. If the crooked keel develops when I controlled the environment then I know for sure 100% that it is genetic.
I have my hands on the birds a lot! Once a week. Feeling the structure, recording weights, SOP checks, creating cull and breeder groups.

I too, have never had a crooked keel till last year with these 3 Buckeyes who choose to live with the turkeys. They were 8 week old.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Roosting?

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks Robbie, always glad to hear of a problem I don't have, think I already have my share.
The Wyandottes are pretty sedate, but when I lowered the roost for them I assumed they would use just the bottom rung, guess they just like the view :)
My Ameraucanas on the other hand start roosting on anything and everything even wit a 4'high roost, I see the eying the rafters and I am sure that if there was a space above them, that's where they would be. ;)
Brooder roost
Chicks roosting 4 weeks.jpg
Better view..
Chicks roosting 5 weeks.jpg

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Roosting?

Post by ross » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Really nice practical perch setup OC .
Being real freerange poultry here mine perch when & where they please . Flat , round , high , low . Nothing supplied all found , corral tops , trees , hay feeders stall partitions etc .. No issues , touch wood . Ouch that hurt (head) lol Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Behaviour”