introducing new rooster

Dunmohen
Newly Hatched Chick

introducing new rooster

Post by Dunmohen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:02 am

Hi folks - I'm getting a 5 mo old cockerel this week, and once he's mature, he will take over his own little flock of hens. The hens range in age up to 2 years.

What is better: Can he go in with the older hens as a young bird and eventually be a functioning rooster or should I keep him in the coop with my 7 month old birds until he's older?

Cheers and thanks.
:cowboy:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: introducing new rooster

Post by Happy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 am

My 4 1/2 month old Cockerel went to his new home a couple of weeks ago. I've since learned that his new owner chose not to quarantine because she has taken birds from me before and not had issues. This guy was just figuring out he was a boy (cochins mature slowly) and he went in with a mature group of 30 hens. She tells me he fits right in and the hens love him. I'm glad it worked out because I think it could have gone horribly wrong! Health-wise and behaviour wise.
I think it depends on the individual birds. If the Cockerel isn't mature enough and the hens are dominant enough it could start things out on the wrong foot.

Dunmohen
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: introducing new rooster

Post by Dunmohen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 am

That's good to know - I've not met the rooster yet, the hens I would put him with have only shown dominance when necessary to younger birds, they aren't aggressive per se. He will be quarantined so I'll get to know him a bit then. Maybe then transition him to a coop where he can see his new ladies for a while before I put them together. Thanks for your input.
:cowboy:

Return to “Behaviour”