Blue Plymouth Rocks?

clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by clawton » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Al that's exactly what's going on with the hatching egg auctions right now
It's getting rediculous
Iv been involved with them but not anymore alot of people trying to make a quick buck and it's getting worse
But that's all I'm going to say about that as I think there's another thread about the egg auctions

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by Robbie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:30 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST yup they are a breed recognized by the APA... Pretty. if a so called breeder dosent know that blue is really diluted black... dont buy them LOL. cuz who knows what other faults are being bred into the birds... yes you will always get black when breeding blues. the black ones only got half the blue genes while the blue birds got both blue genes...
Actually, sorry, almost but that's not exactly it, the black ones got no blue genes, the blue ones got one blue gene, the splash or white ones got 2 blue genes. The Blue gene is a "diluter" of black so a double dose of blue genes makes the bird almost white. Really to be less confusing it should be called the splash gene....
If you cross two black ones you only get black chicks . If you cross two splash ones you only get all splash chicks . If you cross black with splash, you get all blue. If you cross blue with blue you get blue, black and splash, in a large number of chicks. With a small number of chicks, statistically you could get all chicks of only one colour with a blue cross blue mating.
If you cross blue with black, you get black and blue; if you cross blue with splash you get blue and splash.

The blue gene, unlike lavender, does not affect any red pigment the bird has, so red or gold can show up in a blue, black or splash bird, if it's in their background.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:50 pm

See thats why I dont breed them! AHAHAHAHAHA Im so glad I chose Reds as my focus!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by Robbie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST See thats why I dont breed them! AHAHAHAHAHA Im so glad I chose Reds as my focus!
Me too!! :-)
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:56 pm

i can't wait until they breed them back blue to blue next year and viola BBS....i bet we hear "i must have gotten bad stock"....sad. they look like nice healthy chicks. the grey will be blue, the black will be black, and well, that's NORMAL!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Very intersting about this Nuno person and the info that accompanied it.

I have had this conversation with a few people behind the scenes on this forum. I've been watching reviews and hatching egg drama online and although there are a few select that want my Silkie hatching eggs I don't think I will sell the eggs. I feel more comfortable selling/trade the chicks once they are out from under moms wing. I don't want an 'X' in my back for a bad hatch and anyone to think I did it intentially etc. It's not worth the hard feelings, the construed intention and possible drama.

I get fed up with the BS from selling eggs never mind the hatching eggs drama that goes on. It's amazing performance lasted as long as they did.

downhomeroots
Newly Hatched Chick

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by downhomeroots » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:48 pm

I live near Nuno and have dealt with him on several occasions over the years, I actually have an order to pick-up from him this weekend. I can't add to anything negative but only say nice things about him and his birds.
BBS Copper Marans, BBS Ameraucana, Salmon Faverolles, Welsummers, Gold Laced Barnvelders, Japanese Buff Black Tail Bantams, Silkies/sizzles/frizzle. Ducks: Cayuga and Khaki Campbell

SandyM

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:18 pm

downhomeroots wrote:QR_BBPOST I live near Nuno and have dealt with him on several occasions over the years, I actually have an order to pick-up from him this weekend. I can't add to anything negative but only say nice things about him and his birds.
Thanks for writing about your experience .. I always say 3 sides to every story. Cheers!

downhomeroots
Newly Hatched Chick

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by downhomeroots » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks for writing shout your experience .. I always say 3 sides to every story. Cheers![/quote]

:) I agree with your statement though. I would never want to have an X on my back either. I have refused to sell to some people after they told me very negative things about previous sellers, only to learn that they are new to the game. Hatching eggs twice and already in their minds are professionals. Two different people this has happened with that I turned away and said they would have to buy chicks instead. I also like trading chicks as well. I can add new lines in and both parties walk away happy.
BBS Copper Marans, BBS Ameraucana, Salmon Faverolles, Welsummers, Gold Laced Barnvelders, Japanese Buff Black Tail Bantams, Silkies/sizzles/frizzle. Ducks: Cayuga and Khaki Campbell

SandyM

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST
thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST yup they are a breed recognized by the APA... Pretty. if a so called breeder dosent know that blue is really diluted black... dont buy them LOL. cuz who knows what other faults are being bred into the birds... yes you will always get black when breeding blues. the black ones only got half the blue genes while the blue birds got both blue genes...
Actually, sorry, almost but that's not exactly it, the black ones got no blue genes, the blue ones got one blue gene, the splash or white ones got 2 blue genes. The Blue gene is a "diluter" of black so a double dose of blue genes makes the bird almost white. Really to be less confusing it should be called the splash gene....
If you cross two black ones you only get black chicks . If you cross two splash ones you only get all splash chicks . If you cross black with splash, you get all blue. If you cross blue with blue you get blue, black and splash, in a large number of chicks. With a small number of chicks, statistically you could get all chicks of only one colour with a blue cross blue mating.
If you cross blue with black, you get black and blue; if you cross blue with splash you get blue and splash.

The blue gene, unlike lavender, does not affect any red pigment the bird has, so red or gold can show up in a blue, black or splash bird, if it's in their background.
I knew when you walked in the classroom we'd get schooled in genetics!! Ha!! You rock!

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”